It’s actually incredibly easy to make chalk for kids and it won’t cost you anything if you eat eggs regularly at your house. All you need are eggshells and flour!
The following items will be needed:
7 Large eggshells (cleaned well and dry)
1 Teaspoon of all-purpose flour
1 Teaspoon of very hot tap water
- Place the eggshells in a small plastic bowl and crush them into a fine powder with the back of a tablespoon (a mortar and pestle would be great).
- It requires 1 tablespoon of powder to produce 1 stick of chalk.
- Remove any pieces that would not grind up leaving only the finest powder.
- Place the water and flour into a small bowl and blend well into a paste.
- Add the tablespoon of eggshell to the paste and mix thoroughly.
- Use the back of a tablespoon to crush the mixture into a thick paste.
- Shape the paste into a cylinder and wrap it up in a piece of paper towel.
- Allow the chalk to dry out at room temperature for 2-3 days or until very hard.
- This eggshell chalk is best used on cement surfaces not chalkboards unless you like the screeching.